Sunday, January 13, 2013

The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe

The first time I saw the book The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe I was in a Target and perusing the book selection.  It's one of my favorite things to do when I go there.  I noticed the title and thought, "Hmmm, a book about a book club.  I should look into it."  As a member of a book club, we're always looking for good ideas about what to read next.  I thought the book would be helpful.

The book turned out to be more than helpful, it was insightful.  Now that I've read it, I'm still thinking about it.  I can't wait to have my book club read it so that we can discuss it!

In this memoir, the author's mother, Mary Anne, is diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.  While she is undergoing chemotherapy, the mother and son begin to chat about books and what they've been reading.  It becomes more than just a book club, though.

I'm not a professional reviewer, so I'll make my thoughts/review simple:

Loved the book.
Fell in love with Mary Anne Schwalbe.
Wished I could have met her in person.
Loved reading about her life.
Enjoyed reading about her family.
Got a glimpse into her world.
Impressed by her accomplishments.
Respected her work and her career.
Liked reading a book about another woman's faith.
Shared her love of books and of learning.
Want to read many of the books from their "club."
Thank her son for writing a book like this.

There are many other things I could add, but my recommendation is to read the book for yourself and then pass it on to a friend.





No comments:

Post a Comment