Sunday, August 1, 2010

What The Dickens by Gregory Maguire



I had mentioned that I would use this blog as a record about books that I've read.  One of the questions I hear the most when I return to school is, "Well, Lisa, how many books did you read this summer?"  Many times I forget.  This is the latest book that I finished.

I really enjoy reading Maguire's work.  When I learned that he had written another children's book I thought I would try it.  Maguire has such a gift for language!  He doesn't water that down either especially when writing for a younger audience.  This was a lovely story within a story!  Maguire wrote that he came up with the idea for this story after giving an assignment to middle-age students in a creative writing class.  This is the story of an orphaned skibereen (a tooth fairy) named What-the-Dickens.  He is befriended by another of his kind, Pepper, and she leads him to her colony.  What-the-Dickens learns a great deal about his people and himself.  This story of What-the-Dickens is told by a man named Gage Tavenner who met these fairies personally.

Maguire addresses themes of friendship, loneliness and belonging, and imagination.

I especially liked how the author addressed imagination.  When I teach creative writing, some of the students view it as a chore and some truly enjoy the class.  I hope I can foster a love of writing in them.  After reading this book I'm inspired to start a new year of writing class!  Thanks, Mr. Maguire!

No comments:

Post a Comment