Saturday, August 14, 2010

Dead and Gone by Charlaine Harris


This summer I rediscovered my love of Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse novels.  The first Sookie Stackhouse novel, Dead Until Dark, was first published in May 2001.  I didn't discover the series until quite a few years later, but after I read the first one, I sunk my teeth into the rest. 

Sookie is a waitress in Bon Temps, Louisiana.  She has the gift of telepathy.  This has been a blessing and a curse for her as her life has progressed.  Life was fairly normal in this fictional world until vampires "came out."  Once that happened the world is never the same, especially for Sookie.  She even has her first serious relationship with a vampire named Bill.  (We learn Bill was turned into a vampire during the Civil War.)  Other supernatural beings become known as well in the course of the series.  We see a whole range of "supes" from Weres, to other shapeshifters, witches, and fairies.



In the course of the novels that follow: Living Dead in Dallas, Club Dead, Dead to the World, Dead as a Doornail, Definitely Dead, All Together Dead, From Dead to Worse, and Dead and Gone, we get a glimpse into how Sookie views and deals with this world.  Because of her telepathic "gift" she is quite a "commodity" in the supernatural world.  We see her relationships change from vampire Bill to dating other supernatural men.  In the later books in the series Sookie has become involved with the vampire Eric who is the Sheriff of the Louisiana area.  

Sookie is a tough little gal with quite a sense of humor and much of that "girl next door" feel.  She is a likable character.  Once you start reading the books, though, you may get hooked, so beware.

I got a bit burned out at one point, though, in this series and stopped reading after All Together Dead.  After I picked up From Dead to Worse and walked a bit on the streets of Bon Temps, so to speak, it all came back to me and I was able to get back in the swing.  I know that the new book is out already.  I've seen it on the shelves.  I can't wait to read it! 



Dwane and I also got involved in watching the show True Blood.  This is an HBO series that is based on the book series.  It is fun to watch the characters come to life in this way.  HBO has taken their own liberties with the books and stories, but it is still fun to watch.  We bought the first season on DVD as a Christmas gift to ourselves.  Season 2 is out now, but I don't know if I'll be able to wait until Christmas to purchase it!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment