Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Reading Aloud is Fabulous!

Besides the opportunity to teach fourteen young minds everyday, I get the chance to READ ALOUD to a captive audience.  After our lunch period I pull out a book and read to my class for a fifteen minute time period every day.  I really enjoy those minutes.  They always seem to go by too quickly.

I know that teachers have been reading aloud to students for many years.  I can even remember some of the books that my teachers in elementary school read to me: Charlotte's Web, The Incredible Journey, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and  Mr. Popper's Penguins.  I haven't done any research or read any articles on the specific benefits of reading aloud, but I know that my class enjoys this time!  My fabulous fourteen always want to hear me read. 

I do know, however, that there are benefits.  I went to a children's literature conference last summer and an author (Will Hobbs) spoke to us about the merits of reading aloud.  He mentioned that reading aloud helps students' literacy and aids in their creativity.  Hobbs encouraged us as educators to read to our classes at all grade levels.  I took his words to heart and was happy that I had been reading to students in previous years as well.

I've been able to read a number of books to my students so far this year.  I have read There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom by Louis Sachar, The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan, Go Big or Go Home by Will Hobbs, and I have just started Dark Life by Kat Falls.  The class is already coming up with suggestions for our next book.

The best part of my reading aloud time is when I stop reading and hear, "OHHHHH!!!  Keep reading.  You can't stop there!"  I inwardly and outwardly smile and tell the class to patiently wait until tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment