Thursday, February 6, 2014

Schoolhouse Rock rocks!

I grew up watching School House Rock on Saturdays.  The catchy songs not only taught me a few things, but also entertained me.  I recently discovered that my students (5th graders) also enjoy the video clips!

We had been studying about the Revolutionary War and I decided to show "No More Kings" to the students.  They loved it!  Some started singing along, and the majority of the kids wanted to watch it again.  I was pleasantly pleased.  I thought that they would find it corny or stupid, but that wasn't the case. 

Earlier in the year I showed some of the Grammar Rock series to them, and got a lukewarm reception.  Well, maybe that was due to the fact that it was English class.  One of my favorite subjects, but sadly some of my students don't feel that way.  We watched the clips about nouns and adverbs.  The "Lolly" jingle got stuck in my head that day.

Good educational tools have staying power, I guess.  I have found myself singing along to almost all of the tunes as I've shown the kids.  It is amazing what one remembers.  I guess some of the television I've watched over the years hasn't "rotted" my brain.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment