Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Doctor Sleep by Stephen King

As I've noted many times, I'm not a professional reviewer of books, but I love reading them.  I just finished reading Doctor Sleep last night.  I loved it!  King had my attention from page one all the way to the end.  Even if you're not a fan of Stephen King's work, it's well worth your time.  I'm glad this novel was one of the first books of the new year for me.  I'll give you my thoughts in a few sentences or so, and maybe some rhyme to go.

Dan Torrance has grown up to be a man.
We find out what's been going on in his life.
He's had some troubles with drinking, which caused some strife.
He managed to meet some new folks who helped him get clean and throw his booze in a can.

We meet Casey K., Billy Freeman, and the Stones -
Lucy, Dave, Abra, and Momo as well.
Add Dr. John into the story and our characters are swell.
We're also introduced to some players that are scary down to their bones.

We read about a band of travelers named the True Knot.
Rose the Hat, Snakebite Andi, Silent Sarey, Grandpa Flick, and Jimmy the Crow -
these are but a handful of the wanderers we get to know.
In their clutches you wouldn't want to get caught.

The ghouls go around the country in big old RVs searching the nation for steam.
That's their name for those who have the gift referred to as the "shining."
Once it's picked up by their unholy gifts, they go hunting.  Reading about them had me whining.
They live off fear and torment and lap up a child's essence like cream.

Abra Stone had the gift of the shining like a beacon,
and Dan finds himself in contact with this girl from a young age. 
We read about how she grows and how her powers change from stage to stage.
Dan finds himself being a teacher. Once off the booze his power didn't weaken. 

The True comes in contact with Abra Stone.
They want her for her steam.
At times I was so on edge I could just scream.
Dan and Abra join forces and work as one.

Please do read the book. Give it a chance.
I can't tell you about all of it; I won't ruin the fun.
There's so much to this book and many more paths for you to run.
I haven't even hinted to you about the meaning of the title.  Pick it up and join the dance.


1 comment:

  1. Stephen King fans will rejoice. (I am only partly one because I believe he is a douche for his political beliefs). There are a few disturbing scenes in the book but King does not flinch and sugar coat evil.

    However, contrary to what the book declares repeatedly, you need to have seen and/or read King's book "The Shining" to really appreciate the story line.

    ReplyDelete