Monday, February 25, 2013

The Play's the Thing...

"The play's the thing wherein I'll catch the conscience of the King." 

This is one of my favorite Shakespearean quotes from Hamlet.  I always like to quote the first four words, though.  For my purposes, the play's the thing wherein I'll catch my joy and sense of being.  Ok, it's not true iambic pentameter, but I've never claimed to be Shakespeare either.

I'm a theater geek; I enjoy acting.  I was involved in plays throughout high school and college and always had a wonderful time.  Four years ago I took the plunge to get back into acting by auditioning for a show called More Fun Than Bowling.  I didn't think I'd have a shot at getting a part, but I thought, "Why not? Nothing ventured nothing gained."  I took the step and got a role!  I enjoyed working with the cast and director, getting out of my home, and being busy.

In January an opportunity presented itself to audition for a show called The Diviners by Jim Leonard, Jr.  I screwed up my courage and decided, "Why not?"  I was pleasantly surprised and happy when I got a call from the director and he offered me a part.

For the past two months I've had the chance to play the character Norma Henshaw.  I've been having a wonderful time!  We just finished our first weekend of public performances.  I'm glad that I've had the opportunity to work with such a talented ensemble cast in a community with a great tradition of fabulous theatre productions.  Next weekend we have three performances, but we're not done yet. 

In mid March we'll be presenting our show for the MACT Fest.  MACT stands for Minnesota Association of Community Theatres.  We'll be competing against nine other shows.  The top two plays will go on to a Regional competition in Fargo, ND.  I'm hoping we'll do our best, knock 'em dead, and advance to North Dakota competition!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment